Thursday, May 14, 2015

Forget-Me-Not



Forget-Me-Not

Melody notices forget-me-not
because her mother loved it.
Pale knot, a name I’ve forgotten
until Melody brings it back.

Memory survives not in our brains
but in time, ever present, future, & past.

One midnight I wake next to a stranger,
lie cautious & listening, knowing 
the drug’s drone, the body’s ache.
Next shot, I collect T-shirt & jeans,
tiptoe between men on coil-shot couches.
Pan to a streetlight @ Otis & Pearl,
panhandle a dime for the phone.

A long time ago 
doesn’t mean it’s harder to remember.
What’s found on the stoop of an orphanage
marks the soul’s handoff
from one tired body to a fresh one,
or not tired, merely surprised.

The child asks, “What happens
at a funeral? What goes in the hole?”
& after, “I didn’t know about coffins.
I thought the dirt fell in the dead person’s eyes.”
“I was 30,” says Melody, “when my mother died.”

Because she doesn’t touch the flower
I touch it for her. 
The pattern on a turtle’s shell 
remembers every other, yet each is unique, 
a life shell grown inside a birth shell 
from memory all turtles share.

I don’t tell her
how carefully we close the body’s eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment