Saturday, March 28, 2015

Ode to Firestarting



Ode to Firestarting

Even before
beginning 
I admire
sourdough 
starter risen 
through the night 
to frothy 
soup.
Torn shipping box
in hand
I open 
the stove door,
sweep
yesterday’s ash
flat
with sandwiched 
corrugation,
crinkle
brown paper,
toss in
a handful of
grocery receipts,
sprinkle 
of fir cones
crisscrossed
by mossy twigs,
two larger twigs
feathered
with serrate leaves,
a half-rotted 
redwood chunk,
thick curl 
of oak bark.
One match 
fires
two paper corners,
brittle leaves,
though minutes 
pass before flame
slithers
through the bark tunnel,
leaps
to iron 
firebox roof,
my signal
to layer on
a starter log
without tumbling
the still
fragile pyre.
I brew & drink
Earl Grey,
breakfast
on egg & bacon,
ready myself
to measure
water, flour, & salt,
to kneel
& knead
the morning bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment