Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Thousand Deaths



A Thousand Deaths

the butcher
the hotel owner
her sister Something-linda (or was she Something-bella?)
the artist/farmer who made quince paste, jams, & wine
who found a home for my cat
her big-name son who modeled the clay bird
the young sexpot intent on finding a better-than-Argentina-wife life
the old woman who along with her husband owned the hardware store
who invited me to see her garden, whose garden I never saw
her husband who exchanged the shovel when the handle broke
the big man at the market who showed no affection
but gave me the best-looking vegetables & fruits
chose a round yellow goat cheese from the cooler, cut me half
the 5-kilo bags of unshelled peanuts
the tiny kitten threading through legs at the market
surely our cat’s cousin
the girls at the market who thought things of me I couldn’t fathom
their old mother with whom I chattered, we were the same old though different
the figs, the cherry tomatoes
the man at the notions store who filled our butane lighter
the woman at the notions store who helped me choose scissors & thread
a fruit bowl, a bicycle basket
the grill man who accepted a glass of beer
the restaurant owner who brought a bottle of champagne on our 20th anniversary
went for a third glass, celebrated with us
the woman who sold me a scratchy wool blanket
plaid colors I’ve forgotten
the woman who stopped me from buying linens at the department store
showed me better, thriftier items
the man who hand-trucked my purchases through 6-blocks of city traffic to my car
the man who sold me the sewing machine
the man who filled my plastic bottles with goat milk from the stainless tank
farm cats, muscovy ducks, goats watching me come & go
the artist who made my stained-glass window
the barn owl who flew full tilt at the picture window
the snake the cat chased, lizards the cat tormented, killed, left
the men who emptied the trash barrel
into the wooden-sided wagon hauled by the red tractor
the man who drove the rattle-bang dump truck, hauled away green trash
the man who filled a black plastic bag with oregano prunings to steep for mate
the toothless old man in the floppy black hat
who shifted dikes in the irrigation ditches for the alfalfa fields
25 years he worked on this thousand acres
horses who grazed the alfalfa fields
jumped the fence, whirled & cantered through billows of dust
cattle egrets who groomed the horses
my cat winding between the legs of the pregnant mare
each spring a spindly colt

No comments:

Post a Comment